A New Year, A New Attitude

by Deborah A. Bailey
Now that we're in a new year it's time to make those resolutions again. The problem with resolutions is that they seem to be made to be broken. A while back I found a list of resolutions I'd made for the coming year. There were so many things listed that I'm not surprised I didn't stick to them!

Before I left my corporate job I made a short list of things I wanted the new job to have. Compared to my old list of resolutions, this list was much smaller and focused. It indicated the salary, the location, and the commute time. I even added things like wanting to have a desk near a window and working in a building with a decent cafeteria. I wrote everything down and then put it away. In the meantime I focused on my next move and stopped focusing on how unhappy I was in my current job.

When the new position turned up, it met all the criteria on my list. What's even better, I was truly ready to start something new because I had a new attitude. Making a list of resolutions wasn't enough by itself; I had to make changes in my thinking as well.

It's fine to look at the start of a new year as the opportunity to make a new beginning. However, everyday we have the chance for a fresh start and a new attitude. You don't have to wait until January to make changes in your life or in your business. Change is always happening. When you have a mindset that's open to opportunities, you will always be prepared for success.

Deborah A. Bailey is author of two non-fiction books including, “Think Like an Entrepreneur: Transforming Your Career and Taking Charge of Your Life .” She's also the creator and host of Women Entrepreneurs Radio, a weekly internet talk show. Her fiction work includes a short story collection and a novel, available on Amazon.com. 
For more information, visit http://www.BrightStreetBooks.com.

No comments

Back to Top