"Forced" to Refresh, Rest and Renew

by Vanessa Torres

One month post-op my brain is beginning to hum again. I tried to work after about 2 ½ weeks, but really wasn’t hitting the mark and it only took a little while to realize that I’d be doing myself a disservice – both personally and professionally – if I tried to do too much too soon. I don’t like to present work that I’m not proud of and anything produced with a head full of pain medication just would not be up to par.

I am working and writing again, because I feel the juices beginning to flow. It feels right, as opposed to fitting in well on the calendar. With the procedure behind me and my healing process underway, I will be able to focus my energies on work again with a clear head, knowing that I took care of myself and didn’t let my fear of falling behind keep me from doing so. Now that I am on the road to recovery, I can get excited about the projects that I had set in motion a few months ago. Now, I am ready to give it my full attention, not my half-witted, groggy, and stressed out energy – which would have yielded unsatisfactory, if any, results.

Often times we neglect our physical and mental well-being out of fear – fear of dealing with our mortality and fear of not being able to serve our families and our businesses. However, if we ignore our needs, we most certainly will fail everyone in the end –including ourselves. If you have found that you haven’t made time for yourself lately, haven’t taken a time-out to quiet your mind, spend time with loved ones and rejuvenate your spirit, I invite you to consider the “forced refresh.”

Vanessa Torres is the founder of www.ThatHappenedtoMe.com.

No comments

Back to Top