Knowing When to Change Direction

by Deb Bailey

Why do we stay in bad situations? If you're in a job where you are disgusted, angry or frustrated, then you know what I'm saying. Or maybe it hasn't gotten that far yet. Perhaps you're just tired, bored and feeling like you could be doing something else with your life.

Yes, I've been there plenty of times. There's a point where you know you're not happy, but you keep going through the motions because it's easier than calling it quits.

We stay long past the time when we should've left, then we end up rationalizing why we're staying. If we want to move on, we have to prepare for it.

In my last corporate IT job I procrastinated about making a career transition. My new career was not going to just show up on my doorstep and knock on the door. I had to at least meet it halfway. Instead I tried to talk myself into staying because after all, it wasn't that bad. I was getting paid. So what if the environment was negative and I felt stifled, was it really going to be different somewhere else?

Sometimes we procrastinate because we aren't ready to make a change. Even though I disliked by job situation, it was familiar. Strange how we can be unhappy with a situation and comfortable with it at the same time.

The same situation can happen when your business has stalled and you're reluctant to go in a new direction. Perhaps you're not making the money you desire, yet you're reluctant to make the changes that could get things flowing.

Though it's human nature to wait until we're forced to take action, it's not the best course to take. I've done that enough to know that in the end, it's not worth it.

What I've learned (finally) is that it's better to move towards something than to be running away from something. When you know when to leave, you get to decide where you are going.

Copyright © 2009 Deborah A. Bailey

Deborah A. Bailey is author of two non-fiction books including, “Think Like an Entrepreneur: Transforming Your Career and Taking Charge of Your Life .” She's also the creator and host of Women Entrepreneurs Radio, a weekly internet talk show. Her fiction work includes a short story collection and a novel, available on 
For more information, visit

1 comment

Melodee Patterson said...

I so agree with you on this, Deb. In fact, I agree with what you've said so much, I've changed careers about, oh, eight times in the past 30 years :-) If you're not enjoying what you do, then what's the point?

Back to Top