8 Skills that Makes Leaders Successful - The Only Skills You Need to be a Great Leader
by Kristin Marquet
Organizations small, medium, and large need strong minded, smart, and resilient leaders.
Successful leaders have the ability to get others to follow his or her vision. Leaders have clear visions of goals and objectives. Leaders are flexible planners. Leaders are proactive and do not stop until he or she is satisfied with the result. Most importantly, leaders know how to communicate effectively.
However, the most important leadership qualities are:
1. Good leaders have integrity and are trustworthy - a leader that control emotions, makes decisions based on logic and fact, and gains the trust of others are the top qualities a successful leader needs.
2. Good leaders are devoted and committed - successful leaders are devoted to completing whatever needs to be done. He or she will work tirelessly until the result is great.
3. Good leaders take personal responsibility and award credit where it is due - A good leader will take personal responsibility for when things go badly or for when a project fails as well as award credit to where it is due.
4. Good leaders know how to be humble - great leaders aren't arrogant, condescending or mean, but they understand that they aren't better than others are.
5. Good leaders respect the views of their team/organizational members.
6. Good leaders have good communication skills - Leaders need to be able to express themselves effectively. They must listen to gain new insight into new opportunities. Good leaders are objective listeners and don't let his or her own thoughts impair his or her judgment.
7. Good leaders have ability to be creative and develop fresh ideas while maintaining the core values of the project.
8. Good leaders are level-headed and have the ability to keep a sense of humor. Leaders that are levelheaded and down to earth are much more approachable than leaders that are rigid and stiff. Many times members of the group or organization are afraid to speak up if a leader is inflexible because he or she is afraid of being reprimanded.
Essentially a good leader is smart, driven, understanding, and levelheaded with the willingness to assert behavior over some members or employees that deviate, digress, or lose interest in whatever the goal is. Successful leaders have the ability to keep the group focused and motivated while keeping themselves motivated.
Contact Kristin at email@example.com or (917) 355-2225. Kristin Marquet is a regular contributor to the Secrets of Success blog.