Enhance Your Immunity for Balance this Autumn
According to Ayurveda, a person in good health will not be affected by even the most contagious disease because natural resistance to disease is part of being in good health.
In Ayurveda, immunity is dependant on the digestive fire, our capacity to digest and assimilate nutrients. If your body is healthy the immune function is strong and foreign bodies are destroyed and removed so that it can return towards a state of homeostasis. If your body is not healthy, foreign bodies can survive in that environment. Toxins from undigested food also provide a favourable environment for foreign bodies.
So, how can you improve your eating habits and lifestyle choices to enhance digestion. Here are a few dietary, lifestyle and yoga tips to set you on the right track for enhanced immunity this autumn.
Dietary tips to enhance digestion
Be aware of:
* how you digest (how do you feel after a meal? light, satisfied?)
* the size of your portions and when you have eaten enough
* the foods you eat - do they suit your constitution ?
In Ayurveda, foods such as milk, ghee or clarified butter and honey (in moderation) are also considered important for enhancing immunity.
* Include many fresh organic fruits, vegetables, nuts, and beans in your diet. To get the nutrients for an enhanced immune function, make sure that there's always plenty of fresh organic produce around.
* Sip hot water or ginger tea throughout the day but not during mealtimes to enhance your digestive capacity.
* Reduce your sugar intake and alcohol, both of which affect the activity of white blood cells
There are several lifestyle choices that can tip the scales towards either illness or health. Try the following ideas to help boost a healthy immune system:
* Be regular with your mealtimes so that the body is prepared for periods when it will be nourished.
* Maintain a healthy body weight (ideally BMI between 20 -25) Being underweight or overweight places stress on your organs and body functions, thus adversely affecting the immune function.
* Have a good night's sleep
* Exercise regularly - 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes is the recommended minimum
* Savasana, the basic relaxation position, can help to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and heart rate, reduce muscular tension, reduce fatigue, improve sleep, and enhance immune response.
* regular meditation e.g. simply sit in a quiet place for a short period each day
* do alternate nostril breathing to balance the mind and body and boost immunity
Many of the practices to support good health and immunity are intertwined. Lowering stress levels can help you to sleep more soundly and choose more nutrious foods. Sleeping more soundly can give you more energy to exercise. Ayurveda's holistic approach can help you develop a lifestyle that is good for your body and your mind while supporting health and immunity.
Janet Gomez, nutritional consultant, produces the "Nutri-Jyoti News", a free bi-monthly e-newsletter for busy professionals. Feel ready to learn how to use nutritional strategies to manage your energy levels? Then sign up for her FREE e-course "5 Nutritional Keys to Vitality in your Life" on the Nutri-Jyoti home page now.
Copyright © 2010 All rights reserved Janet Gomez