Why You'll Sell Less If You Really Care

©Tessa Stowe, Sales Conversation, 2011

Suppose that you are about to give a sales presentation and you desperately need the sale. You are totally focused on getting this sale closed.

Now put yourself in the shoes of the person hearing your presentation. As you listen to the words and the conversation progresses, you intuitively pick up that he or she desperately wants this sale and is completely focused on getting the sale.

What are you thinking? They really don't care about me. They just want my money. It's all about them. Can I really trust what they are saying as they are probably just saying things to get my money? In fact, I can probably get a big discount if I ask for it. But do I really want to deal with someone who doesn't care about me? How can I escape this conversation - fast?

Now suppose you are about to give a sales presentation, and you would certainly like to get the sale just as you'd like to really help this person if you can. But if this sale doesn't happen, there are plenty of other prospects to talk to and help.

Now put yourself back in the shoes of the person hearing your presentation. As you listen this time, you feel that they really care about helping you and that is what they are focused on. I feel I can trust them. I should keep listening so I can find out more.

The difference in these two scenarios is what you actually care about. If it is making the sale, you'll make less sales. If it is about helping the other person, you'll make more sales. The first repels your prospect; the second attracts your prospect.

So in every sales conversation, try never spending a single moment worrying about whether they will say 'yes' or 'no'. That is up to them. What you must do is give them all the information they need to make the best decision. This is what you must be fully committed to and care about the most. Don't be concerned about whether they want your help or not. As counter intuitive as it seems, you'll sell more faster.

How about starting off a prospect conversation with: "I am committed to making sure you have enough information so you can make the best decision for you. During this process, I might even tell you that my offer is not the best fit for you and I'll recommend something else. If I do feel that I have the best fit for you, I'll tell you that and I'll explain why. The final decision on whether you choose to buy from me or not is obviously up to you, and I'll respect whatever decision you make knowing that I've done my best to help you."

How do you think saying this would make your prospect feel? How would it make you feel as well? With this approach, you forget about 'yes' or 'no', and you focus on having great conversations to see if you can really help people. This simplifies the whole sales process, as you don't need a lot of techniques to persuade them to say 'yes' as you are not focused on that. A 'yes' or 'no' decision will just come naturally.

So from now, try caring more about helping your prospect and caring less about making a sale, and you'll make more sales!


Tessa Stowe teaches small business owners and recovering salespeople simple steps to turn conversations into clients without being sales-y or pushy. Her FREE monthly Sales Conversation newsletter is full of tips on how to sell your services by just being yourself. Sign up now at www.salesconversation.com.

No comments

Back to Top