Worried about Work/Life balance? Focus on What You Love!

by Camille Preston

Work/life balance is a tricky thing. Many of us stress about it, believing it is something that can be achieved if we just had a few more hours in the day, or if we just had a little help, or if we could just do a little less.

Instead of worrying about achieving work/life balance (whatever that is!), try focusing instead on doing the things you love and being with the people who energize you, and doing less of the things that deplete you. This is a key component of rewiring for wellness, from my book, Rewired: How to Work Smarter, Live Better, and Be Purposefully Productive in an Overwired World.

Your time as precious. Your life is precious. So, as much as possible, be critical and judicious with the things and people who take up your precious time and attention. Ask yourself these six basic questions:

  • Who are the people who are draining my time and attention?
  • If I have to deal with them, how can I do so on my own terms?
  • What do I love to do?
  • What are the commitments I do not enjoy that I could give up?
  • Who do I love to be with?
  • Who brings out the best in me?

As much as possible, fill your life with the people and things that fulfill you, engage you, inspire you, and make your life better. Choose them, and you’ll never worry about work/life balance again.

Read more about Rewired at http://www.aimleadership.com/resources/rewired/

About the author: Camille Preston is the founder and CEO of AIM Leadership, an organizational development company committed to developing powerful, authentic leaders. She is the author of Rewired: How to Work Smarter, Live Better, and Be Purposefully Productive in an Overwired World. She is a psychologist, executive coach, writer, facilitator, and highly sought-after public speaker. For more than twenty years, she has guided leaders, executives, policy makers, professionals, and individuals alike to new heights of leadership, performance, efficiency, and greater happiness and fulfillment.

AIM is one of the country’s premier leadership development firms with a dozen associates and hundreds of blue chip, Fortune 500, government, nonprofit, and private clients around the globe, including NBC, Zappos, MGM Mirage, Citrix, the Corporate Executive Board, Mars, Verizon, GE, Capitol One, the US Army, and others. http://aimleadership.com/


Procurement Books said...

It's rare for me to reflect when I read blogs. The questions I have asked myself made me realize that I should really focus on who and what makes me happy. Doing so will enable me to work like it's not work at all but a pleasurable endeavor. This will make my company grow more without me even knowing. Bigger things may be just around the corner like procurement. I just can't wait! Thank you!

Deb Bailey said...

You're welcome! I'm glad that this post gave you a lot to think about. When your work does not feel like work, then you know you're doing what you really love. Thanks for your comments!

Back to Top