Lend Your Support to Help Empower Victims of Domestic Violence

by Leah Oviedo

In 2011 I realized that my career aspirations had changed along with many of the things I wanted in life. I was no longer interested in just making money so I could have a comfortable lifestyle. I wanted to make the world a safer place for all people.

Several events happened that caused this change; a major one was working at a domestic violence (DV) and sexual assault (SA) center. I saw a lot of pain and trauma walk in and out of the office very day. It really wore me down to a point where I felt so hopeless about such a big problem. It also made me realize that other than counseling for survivors, we also need to teach prevention so we can stop DV and SA from happening in the first place.

According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: 1 in 4 women will be victims of domestic violence at some point in their lives and 1.3 million women are assaulted by their partner every year. According to the Rape and Incest National Network (RAINN), every 2 minutes someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. Numbers are one thing, but to actually see the abused women, men and children who walked through our doors was entirely different. It is hard to ignore someone standing in front of you with bruises or so beaten down emotionally they cannot even look up when they talk.

Earlier this year I found a program that trains and certifies self defense instructors. It is called, Just Yell Fire, and was started by a young woman when she was in high school. My goal to take this certification and become an instructor.

How You Can Help

To earn money for my certification, I designed a compact instruction self defense card to sell. At just 3.25 x 4.25 inches it can be carried in your wallet or hidden away in your desk. Each card is printed on glossy paper with a matte back to write down local help numbers.

The sale of each card will go towards my class fee for the self-defense instructor certification. Each card costs you just $5. That includes postage for residents of the USA.

This card is for sale on my website at http://mpwru.webs.com/apps/webstore/ OR by mail with a check to Leah Oviedo, 1106 Second St. #846, Encinitas, CA 92024. Teaching self defense is one way that I can live my life to help others and also feel good about myself. I appreciate all the support you can give to get to that point. 

Thank you!
Leah Oviedo

A Note from Deborah: Leah Oviedo is author of the book, "I Am More Than Just a Girl" which was profiled on the blog last year. Check it out here:   http://womenentrepreneursecrets.blogspot.com/2011/11/book-q-im-more-than-just-girl.html

No comments

Back to Top