Author Q&A: GOING SOCIAL by Jeremy Goldman

Jeremy Goldman is the author of Going Social: Excite Customers, Generate Buzz, and Energize Your Brand with the Power of Social Media (AMACOM; November 2012). He has been working with companies looking to take their operations online and inject “social” into their processes for over a decade.

Having started an online direct marketing agency (WJER), Jeremy has more recently managed global Ecommerce and social media for a number of global beauty brands, including Jurlique, Kiehl’s, and TEMPTU, and consulted with countless others, including Dove, Ouidad, Ahava, and TIGI Haircare. He is currently AVP of Interactive and Communications for iluminage Inc., a Unilever subsidiary that is the multinational’s first foray into luxury personal care.

Jeremy earned his MBA in Information Systems and Marketing at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business (second only to MIT in that combined degree) and is a recognized marketing and social media expert.

Jeremy is stopping by the blog to share insights from his new book, and give tips that entrepreneurs can apply to their businesses.

Deb Bailey: What gave you the idea to write Going Social?

Jeremy Goldman: I would often have friends of mine ask me questions like, "what's the best way to start developing a Twitter following?" or "what should I be thinking about before I set up my Facebook Page?." I was getting so many questions like these I finally just figured I would write a short guidebook that would answer a bunch of these questions and more. Needless to say, I kept writing and writing and eventually, I had a nearly 300 page book on my hands - and that's how Going Social came about!

Deb: So your book will show us how to use social media?

Jeremy: Going Social is all about how to take social media and build it into all of your existing business processes so that your company has a better chance of succeeding in a difficult business climate. Let's face it: in such a short period of time, social media has become so critical for brands trying to put their products in front of consumers. Going Social explains the ins and outs of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, blogging, and much more.

Deb: Who do you think will benefit most from reading it?

Jeremy: I wrote Going Social with the goal of positioning it so that it would be able to help both junior employees who are doing the front-line social media engagement on a daily basis for companies, as well as senior executives who have to think strategically about how social marketing fits into their overall business objectives. You definitely don't have to be a social media in genius in order to get a lot of value out of the book.

Deb: There are a lot of books out there about social media. What would you say makes Going Social different from the others?

Jeremy: Unlike the authors of some books covering social media engagement, I've been the strategist on the brand side, and I've often been simultaneously responsible for direct customer engagement. I've also managed my brands' Ecommerce presence and often, the customer service and online PR functions as well. As a result, I have a cross-functional understanding of how these departments work and how they should work on social channels, and I can share with my readers actual lessons learned from the social marketing frontlines. Due to my diverse set of experiences, I can look at these functions holistically, as opposed to merely seeing individual business units operating in silos.

While I knew my own experiences would be beneficial to my readers, I realized readers could also benefit from the experience of those in my circle, including entrepreneurs, community managers, bloggers, social media directors of larger businesses, and human behavior experts. In this way I'm able to share a diverse set of experiences with my readers, giving them greater insight into how they can grow their own presences on social channels.

Deb: What do you want readers to come away with after they've read Going Social?

Jeremy: That's a tough question; there is so much that I want people to be able to take away from Going Social! From formulating a social strategy and tying it back to business objectives to how to give your brand a unique voice and personality, from how to create relevant, engaging content to identifying and rewarding influencers, from avoiding pitfalls to responding to negative criticism, we definitely cover a lot of ground.

Deb: There are so many women starting businesses. What's your best advice for a woman entrepreneur who is uncertain of her next steps?

Jeremy: The best advice is probably did not try to do everything. There's so much out there for a woman entrepreneur to try to master when it comes to social media, it's probably a good idea to wade into the waters and to get good at a few things before you try to really jump into everything at more or less the same time. Don't be afraid to experiment, and don't be afraid to follow your gut. I try not to tell people that there are ten immutable laws of social media marketing or anything like that, because while there might be guidelines, but there aren't really rules. You know your own customers better than any book, which is why I tried to deliver a framework for thinking about social media marketing that the reader can then apply towards her business.

Deb: One last question for you - what inspires you to do the work you do?

Jeremy: I've seen some really great brands fail, and I've seen some brands that really weren't all that impressive succeed. The business world isn't always fair. However, if you have a strong social media game plan, you've got a much better chance to succeed then if you are lacking one.  I just love the fact that my work gives really great brands a better chance to resonate with their audiences.

Deb: Thanks so much for stopping by, Jeremy! Where can people find your book and where they can find you on social media?

Jeremy: The book can be found on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and wherever great business books are sold.

No comments

Back to Top