Claim Your Market - Create More Profits

by Liz Lynch

Recently I was speaking at an event and asked someone in the audience what he does and who his target market is. He said, "I'm in financial services and I work with non-profits, movie people, hedge funds and professionals."

Immediately, I thought to myself, "How can you possibly be an expert in ALL of those industries?"

It's tempting to want to cover all bases and tell people that you can do everything for anybody. But if you say you can do everything, no one will believe you're an expert in anything. So you're really doing yourself a disservice.

When I first started speaking about networking, I never mentioned that I ran out of my first networking event after 5 minutes. Or that I was an introvert. I thought those revelations would undermine my credibility as an expert. But the fact that I had overcome those obstacles, and had been able to fill my strategy consulting practice almost exclusively through networking not only gave me MORE credibility, it also gave me relatability.

I can’t tell you how many people have come up to me over the years, — especially since I included the story in Smart Networking — and said, “That story you told about running out of your first event after 5 minutes, that’s me!”

So while there's lots of networking advice out there, mine attracts those who know it’s important but don’t want to do it all the time. Get 24/7 results WITHOUT the 24/7 effort!

This message is especially appealing to professional service providers like consultants, accountants, attorneys, etc. -- my ideal audience -- who are super bright, but can also be introverted, so promoting themselves is not something they feel comfortable doing.

Who are the specific audiences that would relate most to you? That audience is out there, ready to listen, but I bet no one is speaking directly to them. They’re hearing a lot of generic messages and saying, “I wish there was someone out there who works with people like me.”

If that someone is YOU, then now’s the time to claim your market. It doesn’t mean you can’t work with anybody else. If someone outside of your target market calls and wants to work with you, you don’t have to say no.

It’s all about making your marketing messages more effective by being a lot more focused. Stripping away the extras so you can talk specifically to the audience that you most like to work with and who would value your services the most. They’re out there, it’s just that you haven’t been tuned to find them. Once you are, you’ll be amazed how much easier it is to bring them in, and at the rates you deserve.

© 2009-2013, Liz Lynch International LLC

Liz Lynch, author of Smart Networking: Attract a Following In Person and Online, works with 6-figure professionals who have great expertise but suffer from “promo-phobia.” To learn how to get better known and attract the opportunities you deserve, visit www.NetworkingExcellence.com.

No comments

Back to Top