Setting goals doesn't have to be a chore. And it doesn't have to become an exercise in frustration.
Yes, it can be disappointing to have goals, then feel overwhelmed when it comes to getting things done. But there are ways to make goal setting easier and certainly less stressful.
Here are some tips:
1. Decide what you don't want - yes, we often spend more time focused on what we don't want, but here's a way to make it work for you. Has your business hit a wall? Or do you wish you could get in shape? Wish you could stick to that budget?
Make a list of the things you don't want in your life. Write them down so that you can refer to the list as you go forward. Be honest about the things that really irritate you. Ready to come to terms? Great. Use that list as a starting point for what you do want. Use it to release the things that are holding you back.
2. List your accomplishments so far - when we get frustrated, it's easy to forget how far we've come. What have you already done that you're really proud of? Stop beating yourself up and take a good look at what you've already achieved.
3. Keep it simple - we can overwhelm ourselves with too many goals. We can't change everything in a day. So don't try! Take it step by step. If you take consistent action, you will get to where you want to be.
4. Picture your ideal result - where do you see yourself in 6 months, 1 year or even 5 years from now? Will your goals help you to get there? For instance, if one of your goals is to make healthy eating choices, but you can't picture yourself getting regular exercise or living a healthy lifestyle--what small steps can you take right now to get started?
5. Write it down - if you're not into journaling, you can just make a list on paper or online. Just get your goals written down and accessible. Writing down your goals will make them real.
Setting goals will help you to stretch and to grow. But if you don't take action, your goals will be nothing but daydreams. Take charge of your goals and focus on results. You can do it!
Deborah A. Bailey is author of five books including, “Think Like an Entrepreneur: Transforming Your Career and Taking Charge of Your Life .” She's also the creator and host of Women Entrepreneurs Radio, a weekly internet talk show. For more information, visit http://www.ThinkLikeAnEntrepreneurBook.com.