Author Q&A: Big Dreams Take Small Sacrifices by Sourena Vasseghi

Sourena Vasseghi is an award-winning author of, "Big Dreams Take Small Sacrifices,"  and an inspirational speaker whose stirring effect on people has attracted a rapidly growing national audience.

Because Sourena suffers from severe cerebral palsy, he has limited motor skills and a significant speech impediment. These limitations, however, don’t preclude him from living a fully successful life from his wheelchair—and being an inspiration to all!

His work has been featured on NBC, ESPN, nationally syndicated talk shows, and in print, including Los Angeles Times and Los Angeles Business Journal.

In addition to appearing in corporate and university venues, Sourena has been honored to be a TEDx speaker. He resides in Agoura Hills, California, with his wife Leslie and their son Andrew.

Sourena is joining us today for an interview about his new book.

Deborah: So glad to have you stop by the Secrets of Success blog! So tell me, what prompted you to write this book?

Sourena: Thanks! Glad to be here. A while back, I don’t know when, I came up with the slogan, “big dreams takes big sacrifices” and it was so good, I had to write a book. I ended up tweaking the slogan because as I was writing the book, I noticed that everything I was talking about was actually about taking little steps.

Deborah: Wow, that's interesting how you were inspired by the slogan. Could you give us a a description of what your book is about?

I watch people everyday and wonder what makes them successful and I spent many years wondering how my disability affects my own success. This book is about creating and sustaining a regimen of activities in order to become successful.

Deborah: Did you have a specific type of person in mind when you wrote it? Who would get the most out of reading your book?

My book is for anybody that is willing to commit to a strategy and pay for their dream. There are so many people that don’t want to make the sacrifices that are needed in order for their dream to come true. They think that dreams automatically come true. If destiny exists, it needs you as a partner.

Deborah: Please share some suggestions for conquering fear.

Andy Grove famously said that only the paranoid survive. I’m always scared of something in my life, mostly that the challenges of having a handicap that can be too much to deal with. I don’t think fear goes away. It’s about having your desire to succeed be greater than your fear of failing.

Deborah: I totally agree. Do you have steps that people can follow to move towards achieving their dreams?

Yes! First, it takes commitment. Second, it takes a regimen of activities. Third, it takes execution everyday of that regimen.

Deborah: What inspires you to do the work you do?

I want to be an example for my boys. I also want to have a lot of fun! Lastly, I love spending time with interesting people such as Dean Jim Ellis from the Marshall School of Business at USC and other motivational speakers.

Deborah: Please let everyone know where they can find your book.

Here is the link to the shop on my website:

Deborah: Thanks for sharing your book with us! Where can we find you on social media?

You're welcome. I enjoyed it! Here are the URLs:

No comments

Back to Top