3 Things to Do When You're Totally Tired of Dealing with Newsletters

by Deborah A. Bailey

I'm going to pull the entrepreneurs aside for a moment. Not in a business yet? Maybe you'd like to hear this too. But don't let it discourage you from starting something up.

I'm just having a moment, so please bear with me.

Is your inbox filled with offers and sales pitches? Are you sick and tired of it?

As an entrepreneur, on one hand I totally get it. You've got to ask for the sale. It's not going to magically appear.

But on the other, I'm getting really tired of the constant entreaties to buy, buy, buy. Get it now. You must have it. It will change your life. Whatever!

Maybe I'm wrong to be saying this, but I'm tired of it. I don't know how many newsletters I've signed up for, really interested in what the person had to say, only to have pitch after pitch in every email. Get it now. Buy it now. Sign up now. Whatever happened to the "know, like, trust factor?"

Can we at least get acquainted first?

So, here are 3 things to do when you're totally done with it and are ready to run away screaming.


1. Unsubscribe. Yeah, I said it. Even if you're subscribed to my newsletter, just hit the "unsub" button if it's getting on your nerves. Step back from it all and take a breath. It doesn't mean you don't like the person. It just means you need a break--or maybe the information isn't what you're interested in right now. No problem. It's not personal. There's so much information coming at us these days, info overload is to be expected. Pick what appeals to you and leave the rest. You can always pick it up again later if you want.


2. Don't be afraid to go your own way. Even if conventional wisdom says you must have an email list, if it doesn't work for you, don't do it. Over the years I've had a few different lists, and based on my own experience, there were times when it was valuable, and times when it was not.

There is no one size fits all solution. Every business owner will not benefit from following the same rules that have been in place since long before the internet age.

According to the stats I get on Mailchimp, the open rates for professional services are around 17%. When I started out several years ago, I was getting around 50% opens regularly. Readers are overwhelmed and tuning out. Even if they really want to hear what you have to say, everyone's suffering from fatigue.

If you aren't reaching your people via email, don't worry about it. Do what works for you. Forcing something to fit that doesn't fit, will just end up pissing you off and alienating your people. Like trying to cram your size 10 feet into a size 9, it won't work, and your feet will hurt like hell (which sucks).


3. Test things out and pay attention to the results.  Six years ago I started Women Entrepreneurs Radio. Through it, I've networked with hundreds of people and increased my discoverability (check out "Discoverability: A WMG Writers Guide" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch for more details on what that is and how to get it if you're a writer or any kind of entrepreneur).

Having my show has connected me to more people than a mailing list ever has, and continues to market for me long after the show has been recorded. It works for me, so I keep doing it.


What works for you and your business?

Test, try things out, and keep an open mind. If something doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you feel like a fake, or the marketing method isn't a good fit, don't do it. If your ideal client is turned off by whatever it is you're doing, stop doing it. It's that simple.

Don't keep hammering away because someone else told you must get that square peg into the round hole. Trust yourself. If it's not working, try another approach.

Marketing is constant tweaking and experimenting. There is no sure thing, it there were, we'd all be doing it. Don't be afraid to step out of the crowd and follow what works for you. Your people will line up with that, and they'll be glad to find you--but they won't find you if you're following a crowd that's leading you in the wrong direction.


Deborah A. Bailey is a writer, coach and author of four non-fiction books, four novels and a short story collection. She's the creator and host of Women Entrepreneurs Radio™ , a weekly internet talk show. For more information visit her blog: http://dbaileycoach.com or her site: http://DeborahABailey.com.

No comments

Back to Top