Finding new prospects for your business is similar to dating. At the first encounter there is a level of attraction that causes a person to want to get know more about the individual who has caught their attention. After learning more about this attention grabbing person, a decision is made as to whether or not it is even worth pursuing a deeper relationship.
Your prospective clients are looking for solutions to their problems. Are you making sure that you are presenting your solutions in a way that not only attracts them to your offerings, but also lets them know that you are the BEST option for them?
Here are 3 things that you can do right now to be more attractive to your prospects.
1. Have a crystal-clear, super-defined picture of your target market and ideal client
It's impossible to attract the right kind of clients if you aren't exactly sure who your ideal client is. Get as specific as possible about your market and you'll find two great benefits:
- You'll only work with clients you like working with.
- Your ideal clients are more likely to say yes to working with you because you cater to their needs so well.
Remember, this is for the purpose of focusing your marketing efforts! It's not about leaving anyone out. Once you meet your goals with a specific target market, you can always expand your efforts to another group.
Once you identify your target market, you'll want to narrow that even further and identify who is your ideal client within that target market. Determine that person's demographic factors (like age, sex, marital status, etc.) as well as their psychographic profile. Psychographics deal more with the attitudes, values, lifestyles, and opinions of your ideal prospect. Psychographics give you a much deeper picture of what makes them tick.
Really take the time to brainstorm and list both the demographics and psychographics of your ideal client so you can speak directly to their needs in your marketing materials.
2. Stand out from the crowd
Objectively assess your business and consider what parts of it are unique. Then, position those elements at the front of your business.
This isn't about being vastly different from your colleagues and competitors. This is about being more YOU!
- Tell your story. Share the experiences you've had that led you to offering your products and services.
- Show them the results you've created with other clients who are facing the same challenges they are.
- Let them see your personality, excitement and commitment to helping them be successful.
Potential clients are always looking for that special something about a business that sets it apart from others. Your prospects have their choice between you and your competitors. Show them that you're not the average business and why. You will be sure to win them over.
3. Stop trying to be all things to everyone
Contrary to what many small business owners believe, trying to provide everything to everyone is a really bad move.
You simply cannot focus your energies when you do that and your business is sure to suffer because of it. Get very specific about the kinds of products and services (aka solutions) you want to provide and market them. The result will likely be that prospects will consider you a specialist and that's always good.
Once you have your target market and unique positioning, this part becomes a whole lot easier.
Smart people who are on the dating scene already know what type of person they are attracted to. They have identified the qualities that are important to making a great match. They don't want to date just "anybody."
As a business owner, you will be more attractive to prospects if they understand that you are the best person who can help them to solve their problems. They will know that you are a perfect match because you are able to demonstrate that they need to look no further.
How so? Because of your focused marketing efforts, they recognize themselves as a person in your target market, they see how you stand out from the crowd of other service providers and they know that you are in business to serve people "just like them!"
Your Action Plan For The Week:
- Look at your current list of clients. Which ones are you excited about working with?
- Write down how you found those ideal clients. Are they in the same target market?
- Based on your analysis, choose one specific target market where you will focus your marketing efforts.
- Write down your story as to why and how you launched your business. Start using pieces of your story in your marketing.
- Research 3 places where your target market is hanging out (online or offline), start showing up there and talk about the problems you solve.
Sydni Craig-Hart, The Smart Simple Marketing Coach, is founder of SmartSimpleMarketing.com. Known for her easy, strategic and results-focused approach to marketing, she also has the unique ability to find untapped profit centers in her client's businesses so they can create money NOW. Visit www.SmartSimpleMarketing.com for your FREE training course, "5 Simple Steps to More Clients, More Visibility and More Freedom" and apply for a FREE "Profit Breakthrough" session with Sydni!